Skip to main content

Do you have The Force within you?

The Ashoka website describes the purpose of the Young India Fellowship as “bring(ing) together a group of 215 (now 285) bright young individuals who show exceptional intellectual ability and leadership potential from across the country, and trains them to become socially committed agents of change.” It’s a big statement. It’s ambitious. And it is a baffling notion for someone who is not part of the programme.
Apart from a broad range of modules, the YIF focuses hugely on developing leadership and entrepreneurial skills. There are some of the mindset that leadership cannot be taught. Through a cocktail of upbringing and circumstances and fairydust, you either have it or you don’t. Dwight Jaggard, visiting professor from UPenn, is not of this opinion - he is of the view that leadership is something that can be learned and honed and that anyone, given the right training and mindset, can enhance their leadership potential.
This does not mean that YIF students are waking up at 6am, taking cold showers and running intensely around campus to ’Eye of the Tiger’ whilst in training to lead. Jaggard wants us to start with the personal; to explore ourselves, our strengths, our weaknesses and our values. Ownership of these traits will enable us to lead with more direction and agency. In his Foundations of Leadership class, we were split into groups, given a task to complete and a student observer audited and took note of the team interaction. In this setting, you confront a whole range of team dynamics –agreement, disagreement, negotiation, frustration, persuasion and diverse opinion. It is invigorating. It is testing. Jaggard looms above us with a perpetual grin on his face, like an all seeing, all knowing Yoda, guiding us through the process, encouraging self-introspection, praising when things go right and identifying when things go wrong.
I am still uncomfortable with the term “change-agent.” I don’t think I will be updating my Faceboook bio with ‘Hi, my name is Karen and I am a socially committed agent of change’ anytime soon. Of what change, is the question. But who knows? We’re still early in, and as Jaggard said, it is only through self-discovery that we will be able to figure out what will be our contribution to the world.
Thankfully, we have Yoda – I mean Jaggard – to ignite The Force within us.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashoka University - Pretty Juicy for a Fake University

As I was handed my passport containing my Indian student visa the embassy official told me that I was going to a fake university. She said that the one that I had listed was not on their register of legitimate universities. Ashoka university – the university that I am attending – is 7 years’ young in its establishment. In a country whose universities are well known and have gained veteran status, I thought that perhaps the register simply had not been updated. I had provided her with offer letters and other supporting documentation so I didn’t understand how she had arrived at this conclusion and more so, why she seemed so smug about it. As I stood there, delighted in having the visa in my hand but simultaneously trying to process this information, I wondered, could I have been hood-winked? In this age of fake news, nothing is concrete. And the real question to be asked is; why on earth had she issued the visa in the first place if she had red-flagged its authenticity? Embassy of Ind

Finding Soul in Satkhol

As part of the fellowship program, we were treated to a week’s retreat in the Satkhol Ashram. And so, fellows from around the country converged through trains and planes and automobiles, to wind our way up to the ashram, nestled in the hills of Uttarakhand. It seems that ashrams, like all good superheroes, are not complete without a badass origin story. The story, according to Satish Tiwari, the ashram manager, goes something like this. Chariji, the then Heartfulness Global Guide had been looking to start an ashram somewhere in the Himalayas. Many abhyasis had found land around Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh but none attracted Chariji. He was enamoured with a place called Almora, although he had never visited there. The amount of land that they were looking for was notoriously difficult to locate en bloc . However, when he came to know that there was land near Almora he became excited. Plans were drawn up and he came to visit it in the 1990s. At this time there were no roads a

10 Things I Wish I Knew Before Joining YIF

1. INTENSITY In preparation for this blogpost, I looked up the definition of intensity, which the Oxford dictionary very ambiguously describes as “the quality of being intense”. Over the course of my interviews for the programme, I was asked time and time again how I dealt with an intense workload. Having worked for two years before joining the Fellowship, I thought that I had seen the reality of the working world and understood how to manage my time. Nothing could have prepared me for the complete overhaul in pace and routine when you first kick off classes. Someone likened it to juggling balls, where every time you adjust to a new schedule, module, or assignment deadline, someone throws another ball in to the mix and you are just expected to continue, seamlessly, without missing a beat. The concept of time becomes slowly warped in the process. It is not unheard of to have ELM meets at midnight or class until 10pm. When I told my Irish friends that this was the schedule, they sa